Clothes near water heater caused Decatur house fire, fire department says | Accident-and-incident

DECatur — Clothing placed too close to a water heater caused a house fire in Decatur Saturday, according to an announcement from the Decatur Fire Department.

Firefighters arrived at 360 S. 19th St. around 12:50 a.m. Saturday to find smoke from a dryer vent in the basement.

When emergency services arrived, all residents were outside of the home.

When the fire brigade began to put out the fire, there was a smoke explosion. The emergency services were ordered out of the house. No injuries were reported.

Coroner identifies motorcyclist killed in Decatur crash

Crews later re-entered the home and extinguished the basement fire and the fire that had spread through plumbing from the basement into a first-floor bedroom.

The department said smoke alarms were operational in the home but they had been removed from their proper locations, delaying the response.

The fire was extinguished just after 1 a.m

Contact Taylor Vidmar at (217) 421-6949. Follow her on Twitter: @taylorvidmar11.

You might also like

Comments are closed.