Guyana Chronicle: – A HYDE Park couple, Timehri, died Thursday after stepping into a septic tank at their residence.
Camille Dwarka, 42, reportedly visited her apartment’s outside toilet but was subsequently heard shouting by her niece Anita Joseph, who reportedly lived with Dwarka.
Alarmed by the screams, Joseph ventured out of the house to find out what had happened. And on closer inspection, she discovered her aunt swimming in the septic tank.
Joseph immediately called for 51-year-old Ramlall Madhoo, who did not hesitate to rush into the septic tank to save his wife. When she noticed Madhoo wasn’t coming to the surface, she checked and noticed that both bodies were floating in the septic tank.
– Advertising –
The Guyana Fire Brigade (GFS) was called at around 9:32 p.m. to rescue the people.
Upon arrival at the scene, the firefighters noticed that the bodies were floating in the septic tank and managed to cut them open to retrieve. The police then took over the bodies and examined them, but there was no evidence of violence in the visible areas.
The man and woman were then taken to the Diamond Diagnostic Center, where they were pronounced dead upon arrival. The bodies are in the Memorial Funeral Home awaiting an autopsy.
“In view of this tragedy, the Guyana Fire Department would like to advise citizens to clean septic tanks relatively regularly,” said the JRC on Thursday.
The average septic tank of a household should be inspected by a septic tank service professional at least every three years.
According to the fire department, inadequate cleaning and maintenance of septic tanks could pose serious hazards such as the collapse or collapse of septic tanks, methane explosion and suffocation, and risks of unsanitary conditions such as bacterial or viral infections.
In the specific consultation, the JRC said that people should never bend over a septic tank opening or put their head in the tank to inspect the inside as they could be inundated by gases, fall into the tank and suffocate.
For this reason, the fire brigade advised people to leave the cleaning and repair of tanks to trained personnel and never to enter a septic tank unless they have been specially trained and wear special equipment and equipment, including self-contained breathing apparatus.
“Don’t go into a septic tank to recover someone who has fallen in and been overwhelmed by gases unless you are equipped with a self-contained breathing apparatus. Instead, call emergency services and put one or more fans up in the septic tank to blow fresh air, ”advised the Guyana Fire Department.
Headline photo: Camille Dwarka and her husband Ramlall Madhoo
– Advertising –