Three-hour fire devastates Davidsonville septic business

According to the Anne Arundel Fire Department, a septic tank fire broke out in Davidsonville on Friday, injuring one person.

Shortly before 8 p.m. Friday, 98 firefighters from four departments responded to Statewide Septic & Baghoe on Central Avenue after a passerby called 911 to report that the building's roof was on fire. The caller also told emergency responders that loud “bangs” could be heard in the area of ​​the building, firefighters said.

According to a press release, at the time the district fire brigade was deployed, 75% of the 22,500 square meter building was already in flames – the firefighters could hear explosions from inside.

A Statewide Septic employee told first responders that while no one was in the building, there was a “significant fuel load” inside, including hydraulic fluid, the release said.

According to a news release, it took crews from the Anne Arundel, Annapolis and Prince George fire departments and the Naval Support Activity Annapolis Fire Department, a group of first responders from the Naval Academy, about three hours to bring the fire under control, according to a news release. Part of the response was to protect another business attached to the Statewide building and exposed vehicles near the site.

Officials said a business owner suffered minor injuries in the fire and was treated at the scene and released.

Statewide Septic & Backhoe was founded in 1963 by Alvin and Mayola Sutphin and is now operated by their son Alvin Jr. and grandchildren Trey and Ethan Sutphin. The company specializes in toilets, septic tank repair, stormwater management and site development.

In an online post, Statewide Septic & Backhoe employees said the fire “devastated the building and the family,” adding that the business is still open and operating and that they “do not plan on going out any time soon.”

Alvin Sutphin Jr. told The Capital that Statewide is looking for other locations to set up the business. According to the Facebook post, the company was located in the building for 22 years.

You might also like

Comments are closed.