Water heater sparks house fire, displaces eight people

BATON ROUGE, La. (WAFB) – Eight people were displaced after a water heater caused a house fire Thursday evening.

According to the Baton Rouge Fire Department, flammable materials were left too close to the water heater.

It happened in the 1800 block of Bellridge Drive near Old Hammond Highway around 9 p.m.

When firefighters arrived on scene, they found the residents of the home safely outside.

The residents told emergency responders that the house was full of smoke and that they assumed it was from cooking.

After investigation, a fire was discovered in the water heater. The emergency services managed to contain the fire in this cupboard.

The Red Cross was contacted to assist the eight displaced residents.

EMS, BRPD, Entergy, the Red Cross and the St. George Fire Department responded to the scene.

Click here to report a typo.

You might also like

Comments are closed.